Monday, March 19, 2007

backlog: week 7

It is ironic that a year ago, I got extremely annoyed when I told a person at a party that I was about to start grad school in public health and he said "You're going to be working with sewers?!" and now I'm writing my topical paper on sanitation. It is more ironic how much I'm interested in it. Ever since watching this UN HDR video, I can't get it out of my head that 2.6 BILLION people don't have access to basic sanitation, and what this means especially for women. Open defecation and flying toilets are unaccceptable in this day and age, yet they are the only options for so many people. This is in such stark contrast to our lives and anything we've experienced...

2 comments:

Jen Chen said...

Mana,

First off, what a funny picture you posted. I miss my dead ipod. It really is shocking how there's no sanitation in many countries. We think of having a toilet as a basic necessity, yet some people don't have a place where there waste doesn't infect their water supply. It's so sad...

Alexis said...

I agree with Jen Chen, what a great picture. Also I have to say that becuase public health is such a broad field, you have every right to explore any number of avenues in your career. Good luck.