Thursday, April 19, 2007

backlog: week 9

I really enjoyed the ideas put forth on the Health Records of the Future video. The video describes a shift from electronic medical records to personal health records to a lifespan planning record that emphasizes a holistic view of health and preventive measures. A lifespan planning record sounds almost too good to be true. It is a complete change in paradigm, considering that I myself have never seen most of my health records, and that they have never contained any information regarding my "economic, social, educational, and spiritual goals", and that it does not utilize prevention in the least. How amazing would this be! However, I am left thinking that if this does come to fruition, would only the rich have access to such records? If this could be provided to all, regardless of race or SES or even residency status... but then that would be part of universal health care (which is another story).

No comments: